How to Clean Grip Tape
One of the fulfilling things that you will get to experience is the sticky and sturdy feeling of your new grip tape. Your new board can give you just that but after using your board for quite some time, you will begin to notice that your board will feel a bit slick.
There are different reasons why your board may start to feel slick. It may be because you have gone through some muddy areas. Perhaps you have let your board go through sand and the moment that you tried to ride it again, it already seems different. There are still other unwanted substances that can change the feel of your grip tape.
Do not worry though because you can always clean your grip tape to make it sticky again. At this point, you may be wondering, how to clean grip tape effectively? By following the tips that will be mentioned below, you will be able to continue riding without having to replace the grip tape on your board.
What You Will Learn
At this point you may be wondering what you are going to learn by reading this tutorial. I would like to let you know the following:
- How you can clean shortboards/skateboards
- How you can clean longboards
- What you can expect after you have already cleaned your grip tape.
- The benefits of purchasing a traditional rubber.
In the process you will also learn the different items that you need to clean your grip tape effectively and why some items are better than others.
If in case you are going to clean the grip tape of your skateboard, there are different methods that you can use.
- Clean with a soft wire brush
While you may be tempted to get a liquid cleaning solution in order to clean your grip tape but this has the tendency to be absorbed by your board’s deck. It might ruin your whole board and of course, this is not something that you want to happen.
- Make sure that you have a soft wire brush instead of a toothbrush in order to remove deep grime from your grip tape.
- Scrub the different portions of your grip tape that are slick.
- Use natural rubber in order to clean the grip tape again before you can use your skateboard for riding.
- You can clean your skateboard’s grip tape with the use of traditional rubber grip gum.
Let us say that you are more comfortable doing things that you are familiar with and if you have always cleaned your grip tape with the use of the traditional rubber then this is fine too.
- You can purchase grip gum from different specialty stores.
- Wipe the dirt and grime from your grip tape by rubbing the rubber over the areas that need to be cleaned.
- Once you have cleaned your grip tape thoroughly, you know that you are ready to ride again.
You may choose to combine both methods mentioned above in order to have a sturdy and great looking grip tape again. I would recommend it.
If you have a longboard instead of a skateboards, you may be wondering if cleaning the grip tape will be the same. Somehow, you can use the same methods that are mentioned above but remember that the grip tape of longboards are usually coarser and will be harder to clean. You may need to use stronger cleaning solutions to make the grip tape clean again. Follow this method:
- Choose a window cleaner that you are going to use in order to clean your grip tape.
- You can mix the window cleaner with water in order to dilute the solution a bit.
- Using a soft wire brush, you can scrub the different areas of the grip tape full of dirt and grime.
- Start from one end to the other end to ensure that all parts of the grip tape will be cleaned properly.
- You can use a microfiber cloth in order to dry the surface thoroughly. Other riders use different and small portions of microfiber cloth because they claim that this can clean the different areas in a more effective manner.
- Remember to leave the cloth on the grip tape for at least 3 hours to ensure that it will be dry and ready to be used again.
- You may be surprised with how your grip tape will look like after it has been cleaned by a microfiber cloth. It might not look that clean. What you need to do is to get the grip gum and clean your longboard’s grip tape until it looks ready to be ridden again.
Remember that you are not recommended to use the rubber grip when the grip tape is still wet because it would not work at all.
Manage Your Expectations
Of course, you cannot expect that just because you have cleaned your grip tape, your shortboard or your longboard will already look like the first time that you have ridden it. Still, you cannot deny the fact that it will be sticky and sturdy again for a few more rides. The time will come when cleaning your grip tape will not work anymore but until then, you can just clean your grip tape to be sure.
Why Purchase A Rubber Grip Gum Instead of Purchasing A New Grip Tape?
You may be wondering at this point why you are going to purchase a rubber grip gum in order to clean your grip tape when you can just replace your grip tape. The amount of money that you are going to spend will not be too different.
Think about the hassle of putting a new grip tape on your board. It can be very hard to do. Why do the hassle of changing your grip tape when you can clean it and make it worth your money? Remember that your rubber grip gum is one of the tools that you need for your skateboard or your longboard.
A Tip in Purchasing Grip Gum
If you would purchase the grip gum from a specialty store or from a store that truly sells longboards and skateboards, the grip gum will cost more but if you would buy from an art store, you will see that the grip gum will be labeled as rubber cement pickup. You only need a few dollars in order to purchase the rubber cement pickup. These few dollars will be worth it.
Did you enjoy the details that you have learned about cleaning your board’s grip tape? This is important to me because I have done my best to make my grip tape to last for as long as possible. I am now giving you the chance to do the same things that I usually do. You can make your grip tape last long too. All it takes is a few products that are worth your money.
If you like this article, feel free to share this article with the rest of your family members and friends who are also interested in keeping the quality of their grip tape. I would love to hear your comments so just write down your comments and I will be sure to read it.