Demonstrative Basic Techniques on How to Ride a Longboard
Did you just purchase your very first longboard? There is a big chance that you will be using it more often in the long run but before you can do that, you need to make sure that you will be riding your longboard with ease.
The moment that you have already packed the right gear like your helmet and your other protective gear such as your shoulder and knee pads and even your gloves, you can already start riding. These gears will help you get away from possible accidents almost scot free provided that they are made with the best quality.
Once you already have the right items, you can already start riding your longboard. Unless you have done skateboarding in the past, it can be a bit complicated to ride but you do know that the more practice you put into riding your longboard, the better and easier it will be for you to start riding like a pro.
You do not need to have the best and most expensive shoes possible in order to start riding your longboard and eventually start making some demonstrative basic techniques with it. You can just use your regular shoes and you will be good to go.
One tip that you have to remember is that in doing the different demonstrative techniques, you ought to make sure that you will always place your feet about shoulder width apart on the board. The foot that you are going to place forward will be your riding foot while the one at the back will be your pushing foot.
How will you know if you are truly good at balancing on your longboard? You would have to do the following.
- First place your riding foot near the middle part of the board. You need to make sure that you will keep your balance.
- Pay attention to your posture. Leaning back too much may cause you to fall and leaning too forward might cause you to fall as well. Balancing is extremely important when it comes to balancing your longboard.
- You would then have to shift your weight a bit until such time when you can place your pushing foot near the back portion of the board. In the process, you would need to place the riding foot forward. Keep the distance about shoulder length.
- You can then try tilting the board from side to side so that you can decide if you are able to balance off the board or not.
- Once you are able to achieve your balance, use your pushing foot to push you off the road and immediately place your other foot on the board. Make sure to keep the distance between both feet.
Other Demonstrative Basic Techniques to Try
Figure 8 Motion
In order to do the figure 8, you have to remember how skaters have done this in the past. Did they have to stop? How did they gain speed? Basically, it can be a bit different with the longboard but the concept is still the same. You would need to start with the basic position again and basically lean towards one side so that you can create a curve before you go towards the other side to complete the 8 figure.
Turn Around with Stop
If in case you do not want to attempt making basic techniques that you know you cannot achieve just yet, you may want to try the Turn Around. This will require you to make use of the usual stance in longboarding. You can then use your pushing foot to push you and while riding, you would need to turn around and go back to the place where you have first started and stop. You may want to make the movement slow if you are just a beginner but there are always different ways on how you can stop your longboard if you are already a good rider.
The above mentioned techniques are some basic techniques that will be easy to do but at the same time, you know that you will be able to showcase your longboarding skills this way. You do not have to make anything that is extraordinary immediately when you are starting out as you can work it out more as you learn more about longboarding.