How to Skate Stairs
If you have just gotten your own skateboard, you know for sure that it will take time before you can do some tricks but you ought to know the basics so that you can use your skateboard with no trouble. The moment that you are already confident with using your skateboard, you can start doing tricks to make your passion for skateboarding stronger than ever.
One of the things that you may want to try is some skateboarding tricks. You can only do this when you already consider yourself good in using the skateboard. Have you tried using the skateboard from one place to another? If you have then you can push through with trying out this challenging trick.
When you become even better and you are able to do some of the tricks that are considered to be done by advanced skaters, you can already try skating stairs. How do you think will you be able to do it? There are some tips that you ought to remember before you can skate stairs. First, you need to know what skating stairs mean. Did you think this refers to going down the stairs with the use of your skateboard? Going down the stairs means having to jump the steps of the stairs.
It might seem easy to do especially if you only need to jump about 2 steps but it can be more complicated when you have to jump about 4 – 5 steps with no practice. You know that there are different things that you can do ahead of time so that you can prepare for this new trick that you can actually master.
- You can start practicing by trying to jump curbs. This will at least give you an idea about how you can balance when you change the level of the roads that you are skating on. In the beginning, you may start by doing some small curbs but as you become better at it, you may already start jumping bigger curbs.
- There will be times when you will make wrong moves and you might fall down from your board but as long as you are protected, you know that this will not be an issue. You also have to know the proper way to fall which is to tuck yourself into a rolling position because this can be safer for your body.
- Keep track of the proper positioning of your feet so that you will be able to maintain your balance as the level of the ground that you are skating on changes.
How Fast Should the Speed Be?
One of the things that can make people feel confused is the amount of speed that they need to exert so that they can still land properly after skating the stairs. It would depend on how high the stairs are. Make sure that you will be using a speed that you are comfortable in. When you use the wrong speed in order to go down the stairs, you can expect that you will probably fall or get into an accident. This is something that you do not want to happen.
How to Do The Ollie
The trick that you are going to do when you skate down the stairs is the ollie. You need to know how to do this trick appropriately. You do not have to worry because this is one of the most basic tricks that you will know how to do. Here are some of the things that you have to do:
- Adjust your feet properly because position is everything when you are skating down the stairs. The ball of your back foot should be on the edge of the tail of your skateboard while your front foot should be in the middle of the deck.
- Bend your knees. This may be the normal position that you have to do.
- Make sure that you will jump into the air with the use of your front foot but do not forget your back foot too.
- After jumping up, you have to kick down your board. The timing should be perfect so that you can execute the ollie appropriately.
- You have to remember that you need to slide your front foot first and then jump at the same time. It may seem complicated but when you try doing it, you will realize why this should be done at the same time.
- Make sure that you will land on both of your feet. Position your feet near the trucks. Do not land on the nose of your board and the tail of your board because depending on how sturdy your board is, there is a possibility that it will break.
- Bend your knees as you go down because this will be in charge of absorbing the pressure that comes from the land.
Other Tips to Remember
In order to make your ollie even more effective when you are skating down the stairs, here are some of the things that you have to do:
- Make sure that you will be committed to doing it. Even if you fall several times after doing it, you know that this is necessary. You will learn more from it after doing it several times.
- Focus on your speed. This can make or break your decision to skate down the stairs.
- Always bend down because this will improve the impact that your board will experience.
- Your body weight should be centered when you land on the ground because this will help you keep your balance more. At the same time, you can be sure that nothing bad will happen to your board.
- Have a lot of luck with you. Remember that there is always some risk with trying to skate down the stairs. You have to try it at your own risk but it can be fulfilling when you do it correctly.
Hopefully, the things that you have learned above will help you know how to skate down the stairs appropriately. Remember that you always have to be safe when you are doing this trick.